Monday, February 04, 2008

Social Network Advertising Not There Yet


I've been mulling over my observations on the subject for some time, and this piece from last week on CNet about Google's ambivalence about social networking ad revenue is timely:

CNet: Google still waiting for social ad payoff


You may be friending and poking your acquaintances on social networks, but that doesn't mean you are paying attention to the ads. Or, maybe Google just made a bad deal with MySpace in which it guaranteed to pay a lot of money even if you don't click on the ads.
Google's fourth-quarter results missed expectations on Thursday, partly due to a rise in traffic acquisition costs that cut into revenue. Executives acknowledged in a conference call with analysts that they made less money serving up ads on social networks than they expected.


Since such a big deal has been made about the potential ad revenue from social network sites, I've made a special effort to notice the types of ads that Facebook throws at me. So far, by and large, the results have not been indicative of any great breakthrough in online ad targeting. What have I been bombarded by?



  • Multiple online Role-Playing Games (which I don't play)

  • Dating websites (which I don't need)

  • Geographically targeted real estate listings from young, overeager local Realtors (if I were going to buy property right now, it wouldn't be from some twit who got her licence last month)

  • The University of Phoenix (don't need an insta degree, thanks)

  • Some apparel company that makes slutty clubwear for teen girls. I wish I had saved the link for your edification, but the picture above is a fair representation of their offerings. (I don't think they make furry boots in my size)


Aside from geographic targeting, I don't understand what in my profile would make Facebook think I would give a shit, let alone spend money with any of the above. I don't see any evidence at all that Facebook has some cunning master plan that allows them to do anything that online ads don't already do: hit keywords with sometimes hilariously innapropriate contexts, and shotgun random ads at surfers and hope that one connects.


I'm not saying that brilliant online ad targeting will never happen, I just don't think it's there yet.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: