Friday, March 02, 2007

Bluetooth, or Crazy? Is there a difference?

Long or Short Capital has devised a fun new game that takes advantage of the growing problem plaguing our society: whether people who talk to themselves in public are loony, or if they have a Bluetooth headset for their cell phone.

LOSC: Crazy Person or Bluetooth Headset? The Home Game
During my commute, I am frequently left to wonder about why it is that fellow travelers are talking to themselves. Are they crazy, maybe burdened with schizophrenia or with the tourettes? Or are they simply business professionals affecting the trappings of insanity by talking to the open air in front of them with the vehemence, volume and animation reserved for discussions with the voices within their head?

Hence Crazy Person or Bluetooth Headset?

Trolling through my archives, I was surprised to note that I have never expressed my feelings about Bluetooth headsets before, except tangentially in this one posting.

I have very few pet peeves, but one of them is people who wander around, drive, or stand behind me in line at The Second Cup and act like a big shot, having loud, ostensibly important sounding conversations on their headset.

Newsflash: important people don't take phone calls. They have other people take their calls, and pass the truly vital ones on to them. If you are on a short Bluetooth leash that ties you to the office, you aren't nearly as high up the food chain as you want the rest of us waiting for our coffees to think.

For the record, I don't have a headset. I have a late model Palm Treo, and I often forget it, leaving it on its charger on my desk. On weekends it sits neglected on my front hall table, and may or may not make it out the door when I go for groceries.

Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

About to totally agree, then I clicked the Bluetooth ad and they are featuring a hearing impaired
boot that works with behind the ear hearing aids. Since I wear two, suddenly I'm interested.
All goes well to I see the price.
Forgetaboutit.

When people call me on my cell, I ask them why are they calling a deaf guy. I explain, I use it to shout to others, not for people to call me.
I already talk to myself in stores. Just nobody on the other end.