Monday, June 09, 2008

Hummer, Quo Vadis?


Paul Kedrosky's got a link to a well-done piece in the LA Times about Hummer's reversing fortunes, as well as some eye-popping graphs.





Now seems like an opportune moment to gloat about my decision last year to go with the 4-cylinder Toyota Tacoma instead of the 6-cylinder model as my work truck (or "fleet" as we like to call it here at Lee Distad's Professional Opinion). It still hurts to fill the 80L tank, but on the bright side, I don't have to do it very often.


If you're like the guy who re-did the floors in my house last year, whose load-out for a job usually involves a half-ton pallet of ceramic tiles, you can justify a truck with a monster power plant. Same with dudes who need to carry a 600lb MIG welder everywhere they go. However, for every big work truck I see here in Oil Country, I see six more that are clearly "work trucks" only as far as Revenue Canada is concerned, and where the owner is just pissing $5 bills down the storm drain for the sake of image. But hey, we all have to make decisions in our life, right?

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: