Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Hitachi forecasts smaller price drops

Reuters: Hitachi sees smaller fall in plasma TV prices

This is the price I must pay for blogging before hitting all my news outlets first thing in the morning. Hot on the heels of my pronouncement of radical price erosion on flat panel tvs this Christmas as manufacturers vie for market dominance, Hitachi goes and torpedoes my oracular vision with the announcement that they are expecting price cuts to be smaller than forecast.

Hitachi Vice President Makoto Ebata told reporters he expects strong sales of plasma TVs of more than 40 inches, which are less threatened by competition from LCD TV makers that tend to be strongest in TVs smaller than 40 inches.


All is not lost. After all, Hitachi needs to remember that it might not be up to them. My earlier bon mot about The Markdown Limbo still holds true: how low can they go? All it takes is for one other manufacturer to start getting twitchy and get pushy with markdowns, and the rest of the big brands will have to start pursuing defensive price adjustments or risk being caught napping. So I'm sticking to my call: flat panel retail pricing will be a wild ride this year.

p.s. I just figured out looked up how to do embedded hyperlinks. Let's all give me a big round of applause for joining the 21st Century.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: